
We finally got her the ring! Karen and I got engaged on Thursday, October 30th. We will be getting married on January 20th. We both are very excited!I proposed to Karen in the gardens behind Tahitian Noni around 9:45 pm. Earlier that day, I sent her a text saying that my friend Heidi really wanted to meet her. I knew she had a big test the next day but, this was important! Karen says she had a suspicion that I was going to propose that night so...she quickly agreed to go :)
After her class at 9, I picked her up and we headed for "Heidi and Derek's house." On our way there, Heidi called me and said that they weren't at their house but had walked down the street to the Tahitian Noni gardens. Beforehand, Heidi and I had planned this conversation so that Karen would not suspect a proposal which was a good thing because Karen could hear Heidi's voice on the phone and was instantly bummed thinking that yes, we really were going to see her and Derek instead of getting the ring. She really became annoyed because she could have been studying for her test.
Her annoyance grew because 1)I talked to Heidi the whole way up there, and 2)Karen knew that this was not going to be the quick trip we wanted it to be because we weren't going to their house but going somewhere completely different. We pulled up to Tahitian Noni and parked the car. I ran out of the car to get the security guard's attention at the front desk and left Karen in the car. ..oops. Realizing that I was not coming around to open her door, Karen got out of the car feeling completely shafted and annoyed at the entire situation. The guard came up to the door and let us inside and into the gardens. I was still on the phone with Heidi "getting directions" and kind of ignoring Karen. Karen later said that she thought that this would be a perfect place to get proposed to but was confused on why Heidi and Derek were there!
To get to the falls, which was where Heidi and Derek were at, we needed to cross a bridge. As we approached the bridge I told Heidi that I could see them and began to point towards the waterfall ahead in hopes that Karen would also look for them. I closed my phone and continued to point asking if Karen could see them. We got to the middle of the bridge and I tugged at her arm. When she turned around I was already down on one knee and reaching into my pocket to get the ring. When she turned her head and saw that I was down on one knee she was bewildered and in disbelief. She asked about 3 or 4 times, "Are you serious?" She also was very concerned about Heidi and Derek being "behind us watching." I looked at her and assured her that we were the only ones here and began proposing. SHE SAID YES EVERYONE!!!
We then spent the next hour walking around the garden. I had placed little notes all over the paths showing and reminding us of the different stages of our relationship. The pictures below will show you parts of the garden and the notes I wrote...
This note reminded us of our first date at Fat Jack's Pizza where I was introduced to the most heavenly-made cheese sticks. It was that night that we ended up talking for hours and hours. After this night, I really became interested in Karen and wanted to continue to see her. Since that night, we literally have seen each other everyday with exception of just a couple of days for vacations.
This note reminded us of the first time we held hands while watching the classic movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." It was a very romantic and a very eventful night. There were a lot of obstacles in the way of watching this movie: i.e. roommate stole the TV, battery died on the laptop, the sprinklers came on 3 different times, people interrupted us playing nightgames etc... But alas, we persevered, finished the movie, and held hands.
This golf club was a reminder of a date we went on to the driving range. It was later that night that we had our first kiss. I'll save you all by not going into those details ;)
This little tree is a representation of our trip to San Francisco when we went to Muir Woods. It was there where we first said "I love you" and first talked about where our relationship was headed...marriage.
This picture was the last thing that I left in the garden. It is to represent all the many more memories that we will create throughout the rest of our lives as we spend it together.



17 comments:
Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you!!! I love all the pics. I'm glad it all turned out. . .I told you it would!!! Happy Engagement!
Oh my gosh, ryan. You are so cute! She is one lucky girl!
This is your old friend jenn from Usu btw. I'm so glad I still check your blog.
Wahoo! I am so glad you have the whole night documented! What fun memories for you guys and all the future little Edwards that will be cruising around!
Wow, Ryan you are Rico Suave. We are totally impressed! We can't wait to hang out with you guys again over Christmas. - Kristen and Cory
I am all misty-eyed. I am so excited for you both, I could seriously scream!
I can't get over the engagement similarities. The leaving-her-in-the-car-irritation, and constantly talking on your cell bring back tremendous engagement memories. I was also terrified Cory and Kristen were around the bend watching us.
Can't wait to get to know you more, Karen!!!
Ryan! Congratulations!!! Karen is a lucky girl! I am so excited for you both :) Glad to see you are doing so well!
(This is Cheronne, from USU, it's been a while.)
So, we've all been watching you...
Congratulations! Karen is very lucky. You did a great job on the engagement. Very sweet.
You're getting married on my birthday!
Annie
YAY!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!
I am so happy for you!! That is really funny about Karen being annoyed at first because a lot of girls I've talked to thought the proposal was coming then the guy through them off the trail and they got annoyed...yadiyadiyada. Well I don't speak Spanish but I'm guessing you now have to change the title of your blog, plus bring her over so I can meet her!
This is Karen's cousin, Analee - she told me to check your blog so I could see pictures and read the story and I must say I'm very impressed! Welcome to the big ol' Wells family! If you think her family is big, just wait until the family Christmas party! You're gonna have fun. Hope to meet you soon!
Hip, hip hooray! We love you Karen, and can't wait to have you part of our family!
Congratulations Ryan! We better get an invitiation. Call me or Bill for our address or you're in trouble! We're so excited for you and we miss you! Dulce
oh my goodness, that was a good proposal! wow! She is beautiful and seems like an awesome and nice girl. I am so happy for you guys! yay!
Seriously impressive proposal skills you've got! We are all so happy for you!
Hi Ryan. This is Hailey (Bergin) Tueller. I found your blog from Heidi's. Congratulations on getting engaged. Your fiance is gorgeous. I saw your parents a few weeks ago when we went to church with my parents and they said that you were close to getting engaged. I am so happy for you. Do you mind if I add you as a link on my blog so I can keep in touch? Good Luck with the wedding!
Our baby is engaged! We are so excited for you and Karen. She is the greatest...what a perfect couple. We couldn't be happier.
Wow, your fiance's (well, wife now!) reaction was very much like your sister-in-law's reaction to their whole proposal night. It must be an Edwards brother thing. (Or a Karen thing)
Post a Comment